spoon

cooking for friends

Category: , ,

I had my lovely friend Meighan over for brunch this Sunday. Meighan and I have been friends for quite a few years and are finally living in the same city again since Vancouver years ago and it's such a treat! I'm starting to notice my lack of female friends and influences in my life, and I miss it! Not that I don't love my guy friends to death but sometimes you gotta paint your nails, watch a chick flick and talk about boys!



Anyways, I've been filling Meighan in with my paleo and crossfit endeavours and she likes the sound of primal eating so I decided to cook her a yummy paleo brunch. Here's some recipes, including an amazing post crossfit steak dinner...

Savoury Beefy Breakfast Crepes
this is my first attempt at making a paleo crepe, I might try to change it up a bit next time to make it less eggy

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup mushrooms, diced
1/4 cup peppers (green or red, or both), diced
1/4 onion, diced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp Bragg’s Amino Liquids
ground black pepper
diced green onion for garnish

In a large saucepan use the water to sauté the mushrooms, peppers and onion until onions are slightly translucent. 


Add ground beef, salt, chili and garlic powder, Bragg's and pepper stirring and breaking up meat pieces until throughly cooked. 


Set aside and make your crepes!

Crepes:
2 eggs
1/4 cup water or almond milk (regular milk if you do dairy)
1/2 tsp dried parsley
pinch of salt

Whisk all ingredients together, pour about 1/4 cup of the mixture into a pan already at medium heat and oiled. Pick up and swirl pan around slowly to spread the crepe thin. Cook until bubbles form. Transfer to plate, add filling and fold together. Yum!




Zucchini Muffins
get your sweet tooth fix while still eating your veggies!

1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (do not pack down when measuring)

Combine coconut flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. In a seperate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, and honey, then add to dry ingredients and mix together well. Stir in grated zucchini just until combined with the batter. Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes. Let cool and serve!


Last night after crossfit, I decided to utilize the groceries I had just bought and make a yummy steak dinner. I've made some good cauliflower mash before but I wanted to play about with some sweet potato as well.. and so here's a new recipe.

Garlicy Sweet-Cauli Mash
this is really good post workout since the sweet potato adds denser carbs

1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cup cauliflower, cut up
2 tbsp coconut milk (or whole milk if you do dairy)
1 tbsp coconut oil (or butter)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup dill, finely chopped

Steam sweet potato and cauliflower until cooked then transfer to food processor. Add coconut milk, oil, garlic powder, salt and ground pepper. Pulse mixture until desired consistency. I left it on low instead and I found it ended up too pureed for me. This could also be done with a good old fashioned potato masher. Once you've got everything all mashed up, stir in dill, serve and sprinkle with green onion. 

Grilled sirloin, topped with garlic sauteed mushrooms and onion. Side of sweet-cauli mash and grilled zucchini!



Comments (0)

Post a Comment