spoon

fall is upon us

Category: , , , ,

After a trip to Johnny's Meats here in Kelowna the other day, we came home totting 3 hefty bags full of different meats (I was getting a little protein bored.) One of which was a nice grass fed roast. I've never really been into red meats before lately. I always deemed it as "bad" for you. But I can now say that I've consumed about 2 times the red meat I had in my entire life in the past month. And I LIKE it!


I had no idea how to cook a roast so I left that one up to Fraser, making him pinky promise he would keep it paleo. 




The result was...  interesting. The meat itself was very tender and good but I found the roast itself very difficult to eat. It was very fatty and I couldn't seem to find the fat to cut off until it was in my mouth. Maybe next time a better cut of roast would be better. Fraser and Derby (our dog) loved it though so it won't be going to waste.









I went to work on the rest of what turned out to be a very hearty fall paleo meal, dessert and all.

First I realized I hadn't used my organic pumpkin that I had received over a week ago from Urban Harvest, so I decided to try a few different things with that. 

I cut the pumpkin into halves and gutted it (not even thinking to keep the seed for roasting, damn!) and cut those halves into 4 pieces. I split the pieces up into two tinfoil sheets. One savoury, one sweet.






Savoury Squash
1/2 medium sized squash, gutted and cut up
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp spices (I used an italian allspice)
salt and crack black pepper


Arrange squash pieces on a piece of tinfoil, drizzle with olive oil. Distribute spices throughout the pieces and finish with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Fold up the foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until tender.

Sweet Squash

1/2 medium sized squash, gutted and cut up
1 tbsp honey 
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt


Arrange squash pieces on a piece of tinfoil, drizzle with honey. sprinkle cinnamon and finish off with a touch of salt. Fold up the foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until tender.


Both turned out great. I definitely favoured the sweet batch but I have a bit of a sweet tooth.


I had been dying to try cauliflower mash since I failed miserably at it a few months ago. I looked around the internet and found what seemed to be a fail-proof recipe on Paleo Comfort Foods, so fail-proof that she served it at her wedding reception... now that's confidence!


The Most Amazing Mashed Cauliflower 


1 head cauliflower
2 cloves crushed garlic
1-2 tbsp rosemary
1 cup chicken broth


Cut the stem out of the cauliflower and chop up into florets. Put these pieces into a medium sized pot. Add the chicken broth, crushed garlic and rosemary. Simmer on medium for about 20-30 minutes on until soft enough to break apart with a fork and almost all the broth is gone.


Add cooked cauliflower and remaining broth into the food processor and pulse until as creamy and smooth as you like. You can add other spices at this point. I found the broth added enough salt so I only added pepper. Dill or chives might be nice to add. You can add some                  coconut milk to make it even more creamy and rich but I didn't feel the need to.


This was honestly the best faux mashed potatoes I have ever had! Perfect consistency and taste. Even Fraser liked it! I would definitely serve this to guests or as a potluck dish.







To top off the meal I decided to use up the 8 sad eggs that sat in a bowl in my fridge (my darling boyfriend is a bit of a klutz with grocery bags. Hey, at least he managed to save them, right?) so I made a yummy cranberry loaf to top an excellent fall dinner off with. I used the same coconut muffin recipe as in a few posts ago but changed things up a bit.


Cranberry Coconut Loaf


¾ cup coconut flour
½ cup coconut oil or butter, melted
6 eggs
3 tablespoons honey
½ cup shredded coconut
1 cup fresh cranberries
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder



Blend together eggs, oil, honey and salt. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk thoroughly into batter until there are no lumps. Stir in shredded coconut and cranberries. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350F for 35 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.

It turned out so good! Best baking project so far!


All in all it was a very good meal and my first endeavour into non-baking paleo recipe blogging. Enjoy!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment