spoon

cheats, greeks and defeats

Category: , ,

Well, it's happened. I had my first bad paleo "cheat."  Cheats will happen but when they do we need to move onward and upward and not lose yourself. Every moment is a new opportunity to make better choices.


I feel very in tune with my body and how it is effected by what I put in it. It's very clear that straying from REAL food takes it's toll on us and it's very important to fuel our bodies with what we are meant to be eating. This is where the defeat comes in. Since we are starting the 30 day paleo challenge in the gym I've decided to also make it alcohol free to see how it effects me. I'll keep you posted on this.

Fraser and I have weekly ethnic paleo nights with a great couple that also love to cook new things. This week was Greek and I decided I might as well blog it. It turned out great! I decided to try a beef version of a moussaka "boat" recipe that I found at Pragmatic Paleo who got it from The Paleo Diet Cookbook. They turned out ugly, but amazing tasting. I also tackled a simple chicken souvlaki while Tiffany made Greek salad and dolmathes. We ate like Greek gods that night!

Paleo Moussaka Boats


2 large eggplants
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste
Cut eggplants in half, place meat side down in 1 inch of water. Broil for 30 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
Heat oil in pan and sautee onion until soft, add tomatoes and garlic, cook for two more minutes. Add beef to pan, cook until browned. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove meat from eggplants (keeping the skins), drain water, then add to beef mixture.
Scoop beef mixture into eggplant skins, cook in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
after broiling

I had a really hard time "scooping" the meat out so I ended up cutting it out.

I misread the directions and separately cooked the eggplant meat.



Chicken Souvlaki

2-3 chicken breasts
1 medium onion
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp dried Greek oregano
wooden skewers, soaked overnight

Cut the chicken breasts into uniform pieces.  Cut onion into quarters.  Separate the layers into a large bowl.  Add your remaining ingredients.  Then add chicken and toss to coat.  Place in the fridge for at least 5 hours or overnight for best results. Grill on BBQ for 3-4 minutes per side.




Jay made some unreal cucumber mojitos with vodka and honey instead of rum and sugar. There were just as pretty as they were tasty.




YUM!



Comments (0)

Post a Comment